Everybody should learn to program a computer, because it teaches you how to think.
Steve Jobs, former CEO and creator of Apple
Intent - what do we teach?
Our aim is to provide a high-quality computing education which equips children to use computational thinking and creativity. We aim to prepare our children for a rapidly changing world through the use of technology. It is our intention to enable children to find, explore, analyse, exchange and present information. Computing skills will enable children to be confident, creative and independent learners. It is our intention to make children not only digitally competent but to ensure they have a good understanding of how to be a responsible online citizens.
Implementation - how do we teach it?
- A clear set of skills are built upon each year that provides coverage in line with the National Curriculum.
- Access to a wide range of resources that aid in the acquisition of skills and knowledge
- Children have access to the hardware (computers, tablets, programmable equipment) and software that they need to develop knowledge and skills of digital systems and their applications.
- Teaching and learning should facilitate progression across all key stages within the strands of digital literacy, information technology and computer science. Children will have the opportunity to explore and respond to key issues such as digital communication, cyberbullying, online safety, security and social media.
- Wider curriculum links and opportunities for the safe use of digital systems are considered in wider curriculum planning.
- The importance of online safety is shown through displays within the learning environment and on all login screens.
- Parents and carers are informed when issues relating to online safety arise and further information or support is provided if required.
- As well as opportunities underpinned within the computing curriculum, children will also spend further time exploring the key issues associated with online safety through their personal well being lessons.
Impact - what impact is our teaching having?
The children become confident using technology, being able to accomplish a wide variety of goals, both at home and in school. We want our children to be prepared for the future and to have an intuitive understanding of computing. The children will also have a secure knowledge of how to stay safe online, being able to use technology confidently and with understanding and resilience. They will appreciate the impact of their actions They will also know where to go is they are concerned about anything associated with online life.